1 the point of intersection of lines or the point opposite the base of a figure
2 the highest point (of something); "at the peak of the pyramid" [syn: peak, apex, acme] [also: vertices (pl)]
Etymologyvertex, top, peak, from vertere, to turn
- The highest point of something.
- The highest point on the skull.
- Informally; a corner.
- (angle) The common point of the two rays of the angle.
- (polygon) The meeting points of two sides.
- (polyhedron) The meeting point of three or more faces and an equal number of edges.
- (polytope) a point where the corners of three or more cells meet and connect to each other.
- (curve) a point on the curve with a local minimum or maximum of curvature.
- One of the elements of a graph joined by zero or more edges to other vertices.
- Informally; a corner.
- (computer graphics) A point in 3D space, usually given in terms of its x-, y-, and z-coordinates.
- the point where the surface of an optical element crosses the optical axis.
- (nuclear or particle physics) the interaction point.
- where the Prime Vertical meets the ecliptic in the west.
- Croatian: vrh
- Czech: vrchol
- Finnish: huippu
- Japanese: 最高点 (saikōten)
corner of a polygon or polyhedron
in computer graphics
- Croatian: vrh, verteks
- Finnish: verteksi
- Italian: vertice
Vertex (Latin: corner; plural vertices or vertexes) may refer to:
- Vertex (physics), a point where particles collide and interact
- Vertex (optics), a point where the optical axis crosses a lens surface
- Vertex algebra in conformal field theory
- Vertex function describing the interaction between a photon and an electron
- Vertex model in statistical mechanics, a discrete model of a physical system in which weights are associated with vertices of a grid graph.
- Vertex (anatomy), the uppermost surface of the head of an arthropod or vertebrate
vertex in German: Vertex
vertex in Spanish: Vértice
vertex in Finnish: Vertex
vertex in French: Vertex
vertex in Italian: Vertice
vertex in Dutch: Vertex
vertex in Portuguese: Vértice
vertex in Swedish: Vertex
L, acme, angle, apex, apogee, bend, bifurcation, bight, brow, cant, cap, chevron, climax, cloud nine, coin, corner, crank, crest, crook, crotchet, crown, culmen, culmination, deflection, dogleg, edge, elbow, ell, extreme limit, extremity, fork, furcation, heaven, heavens, height, heights, high noon, highest pitch, highest point, hook, inflection, knee, limit, maximum, meridian, mountaintop, ne plus ultra, no place higher, nook, noon, peak, pinnacle, pitch, point, pole, quoin, ridge, roof, seventh heaven, sky, spire, summit, swerve, tip, tip-top, top, upmost, upper extremity, uppermost, utmost, veer, very top, zag, zenith, zig, zigzag